Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bad Hoooorse! Bad Hoooorse! The Thoroughbread of Sin!

He got the aplicaaaation that you just sent iiiin!

Yeah, anyway...

I earned several geek points last night by attending a stage performance of "Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog." When it comes to live theater, I tend to naturally gravitate towards all things bizarre and utterly campy. This play definitely fell into that category. It was at a funky theater in Portland with church pews for the audience to sit on. People came dressed up like super heroes and sang along.

It was everything you would expect from an independent production of a cult Internet video. The costumes were great but Doctor Horrible couldn't sing. The show stayed true to the original version but snuck the occasional song from the commentary in there, absolutely destroying the fourth wall and making for an overall hilarious theater-going experience.

Steve was kind of surprised at my enthusiastic response when he first asked if I wanted to go to this play with him. I don't know why he was surprised. After all, I am the girl who once wrote an entire rock opera about zombies. Campy is my middle name.

I graduate in exactly a week. I think I'm going to wear my sequined Lady Gaga dress under my robes, just because I can. Maybe I'll buy a cheap pair of Paris Hilton-style sunglasses to go with it for dramatic effect.

Okay, I'm semi-kidding about the Paris Hilton-style glasses. But I'm totally Lady Gaga-ing it up.

You only live once, right? :D

I've managed to adopt a Zen-like attitude for these last few days of college.

Q: What did the Zen master say to the hot dog vendor?
A: Make me one with everything!

My laid back approach to life is a bit uncharacteristic - usually I'm a neurotic little ball of anxiety. But in a world of so many unknowns, the only way you can survive is to just take one day at a time and make each hour (each minute, even) the best it can possibly be.

This new outlook can probably be partially blamed on a fantastic book I read last week. I don't really read much, but I ended up with a copy of "Tuesdays with Morrie" and finished it in two days. I really think that everybody should read it. It gives you a lot to think about. And if you have read it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Anyway, I digress.

I think the time line and general nature of rock tour are in the process of being rearranged. We will still be hitting the road, it just won't be for as long as we thought. So we may only make it as far as Oklahoma or something. Who knows. Plans are still in the works. Things change. Ideas evolve. Band mates get offered million dollar opportunities.

Ryan and I need to have a pow wow. Will keep you updated, world. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love Doctor Horrible's sing-a-long blog - but I don't know if I could watch someone other than NPH sing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was fun but a little painful. I had to watch the real thing this morning to recover from the guy who couldn't sing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me really happy that people are already starting to do live versions of it though! How long until Clinton St. starts putting one on, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of campy musicals, seen this gem yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwM_AKeMCk

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when YOU leave me comments. :D