Friday, December 10, 2010

Melancholy? Leonard Cohen Can Help!

I was a zombie this morning. I did not sleep very well at all last night. I stumbled into the kitchen with a cup of coffee and was enthusiastically greeted by The Chef and The Poet.

"Good morning kid, how are ya?" says The Poet.

"I'm alright," I say. We talk for a little bit and they soon realize that "alright" means "totally melancholy." The Poet tells me I'm a rock star. The Chef prescribes listening to folk music. The Poet even brings the following CD by my room later (The Chef's orders, of course):


"Melancholy is easy to fix," he says, handing me Leonard Cohen's Greatest Hits. "Here, listen to this."

As you can imagine, listening to Leonard Cohen did not make the world much brighter. At least not at first. I had my moment with the song about trying to be free like a bird on a wire. I stared out the window into the rainy mess of the outside world and thought about how we're all just birds on wires and drunken midnights choirs. If I wasn't so determined not to be cliche and cry, I might have cried.

Then I couldn't take it anymore so I put on some David Guetta remixes and danced my way out of my momentary slump. Maybe I'll just start there next time.

Anyway, the night has gotten away from me once again so I will make this a short one. Tune in tomorrow for something extra special. ;)

Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. Fun fact...a friend of mine (who may or may not be the guest from out west) used to live in Montreal and used to see Leonard Cohen at this one cafe. He also knew where he lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I have ever listened to Leonard Cohen. At least, not ever that I *knew* I was listening to him.

    Dancing around to good music is a method I employ sometimes when I'm feeling down. Either that, or I play some video games where I can blow the shit out of fake people. That helps too.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when YOU leave me comments. :D