So I'm all done with my house-sitting job. I think I managed to get the place all cleaned up and back to normal. On Thursday, The Studio Musician came over and we turned the basement into a recording studio. I sang into a microphone for about six hours and at the end of the day we were three tracks closer to the finish line. I can't even begin to describe how exhausted and accomplished I felt at the end of that day.
I'm really excited about this little five track album and can't wait to let you guys hear it. I'm pulling out all the big guns. When all is said and done, this CD will have all of the following things:
- sound clips from old horror films
- badly pronounced German lyrics
- a song about the end of the world
- me singing back-up vocals to myself (in stereo!)
- a perfectly manicured pop orchestra (think: Abbey Road)
- a little punk guitar action
- an organ playing a cadence you might hear at church
- a cheesy, yet potentially face-melting guitar solo
- an epic five minute song with no real chorus
- the word "cerebellum"
- a chord progression that screams "grunge"
- slightly melodramatic and theatrical vocals
- a musical collaboration with the local poet
Dude. I can't wait till this project is actually done and I can show it off.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to make The Want Ads into a real band... I think I have people coming to audition today but nobody responded to my last email... So I don't really know? Stupid Craigslist interactions. Hmmmfph.
As for news from the commune... The Management has started raising everyone's rent. Except they're doing it randomly. And everyone has a different percentage that their rent is raised by. So that's messed up and will probably be the catalyst for World War Three around here.
Except battles with The Management have been raging before that happened. Remember a couple of posts ago when The Chef got in trouble for putting a peaceful banner out of his window?
Now they're hanging out of a whole bunch of windows. Solidarity in honor of freedom of speech, yo. Let's see The Management try to shut that down.
I think they've given up on this particular battle. So far, the only opposition I've encountered was from the guy that lives below me. I got a little carried away with my banner and let it hang all the way down the side of the building, blocking the window below me. One day, I came home to this charming little note taped to my door:
- There's a guy here named Tom?
- Has he lived below me this whole time?
- Oh man... I bet he was the guy pounding on the ceiling the time The Fonz and I just had to have a midnight dance party to Milli Vanilli. I'm still really embarrassed about that. I should meet Tom at some point and tell him I don't actually like Milli Vanilli.*
- I remember looking at room 207 before I moved in... isn't it tiny? Like, dorm room tiny? How on earth are there 17 house plants in there?
- More important question: Why are there 17 house plants in there? Does Tom have a obsession with jungles? Is he growing a small army of cannabis in his window or what?
- Whatever. The note was nice enough and I can never say "no" to a request that comes packaged with an awkward doodle.
So I fixed the banner, which is still proudly waving away outside my window.
Anyway, I've got to wrap this up so I can go deal with the auditions (or lack thereof). Gah. Why does finding a back-up band seem like such a daunting task sometimes?
Peace out, kiddos.
* Okay, I secretly like Milli Vanilli.