- Eating too much turkey
- Eating my dad's cinnamon rolls, which deserve a holiday of their own
- Insisting on doing the whip cream part myself on my piece of pie (which will result in everyone saying "Do you want some pie with that whip cream?")
- Hoping that my little brother doesn't start talking politics with my uncle
- Looking at Black Friday ads and deciding that all I want for Christmas is a record deal and reliable plumbing
- Listening to Arlo Gutherie's "Alice's Restaurant"
- Receiving a bunch of generic "Happy Thanksgiving" text messages from people I never talk to
- Updating my Facebook status to "Happy Thanksgiving" and watching a whole bunch of random people like it
- Attempting to write a witty and insightful Thanksgiving-themed blog post
All of that aside, I must admit that I have so many things to be thankful for. You're probably familiar with the cliched list that's formulating itself in my brain right now. I'm thankful that I'm alive and that I have a place to live. I'm thankful that I have a family to eat Thanksgiving dinner with, a menagerie of unique and lovable friends (both online and in real life), and just enough money to support my coffee addiction. I'm thankful that I have the ability to write songs, and that there are people in this world who take time to listen to these songs.
The list could go on and on. The point is, there are lots of things to be thankful for on this day.
But before this turns into a Hallmark card, I'm going to shut up and leave you with this traditional Thanksgiving-themed song (in two glorious parts):
Happy Thanksgiving, amigos. <3